And these are just the cases from the past three years, the police and prosecutors are already known and with whom the arrest warrant was obtained. Internally, the investigators fear that the case could take on even greater proportions – and that a man who systematically exploited his role as a youth guard and abused countless children, remained undetected for years.
Possible victims should contact the authorities
The police and prosecutors are calling on other potential victims and their relatives to contact the authorities. "The investigations – especially with regard to any further suspected victims – continue," it said.
Already on November 1, the man because of the urgent suspicion of the multiple, some serious sexual abuse of children. In the past three years alone, he is said to have sexually abused at least four boys between the ages of eight and eleven.
Investigators arrested the man in his caravan. During the search, the officers found extensive evidence. Among them were also numerous items that "according to the descriptions of the children in the abuse of actions should have been used regularly," as police and prosecutors announced on Monday. Now the seized data media are to be evaluated. It's about whether the suspect filmed or photographed his actions.
"Stunned and shocked"
The chairman of the club concerned told the Tagesspiegel, "that I am like everyone else in the club completely stunned and shocked." The suspect was for several years in the club and have done a good job as a youth guard. "The youth group with us has grown, the children had a lot of fun and asked again and again when they were back on the water."
The man had previously been a member of other clubs and also had a lot of contact with children there. He was described very positively by other clubs. According to the club chairman, the victims are members of the club.
The club boss said he never received signals or messages that there were inconsistencies with the youth guard. "Otherwise, I would have reacted immediately or he would never have been a youth guard anyway." The suspect had not submitted an extended certificate of good conduct. Whether the club grounds were among the potential crime scenes, he could not say.